Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Gangadhara M.B avatar image
Gangadhara M.B asked Erick Ramirez commented

Which snitch should we use for a cluster with on-premise and AWS datacenters?

We have on-premise Multi DC( 03 data center each DC having 6 nodes) DSE 5.1.11 cluster running on Centos , now we are planning to move/migrate to AWS using a method of adding new DC in AWS EC2 and later decommission on-premise .

Question is about Snitch

Currently on the on-premise Multi DC set up we have endpoint_snitch: GossipingPropertyFileSnitch .

when we start adding new DC in AWS and parallelly running Cassandra in both on-prim and AWS till final cutover, which endpoint_snitch should be specified in onprim and AWS data centers ?

Thanks

Gangadhara

snitch
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

This has come up a number of times before and my recommendation is always the same regardless of the cluster topology -- use GossipingPropertyFileSnitch in any scenario.

I understand the convenience that a cloud provider snitch affords users but one can argue that even when your organisation exclusively uses a specific provider, GossipingPropertyFileSnitch should still be the default choice. GPFS is more flexible and works with hybrid clouds -- you can have a mix of nodes in AWS, Azure, GCP and even on-premise.

Let's say your company exclusively uses GCP at the moment. When you decide to expand your cluster to another cloud provider, you'll need to change to a provider-agnostic snitch like GPFS. Snitches determine how replicas are distributed in a cluster and so switching snitches requires a lot of planning and it can be a costly exercise. For this reason, we recommend using GossipingPropertyFileSnitch right from the start in all cases.

For more info, see the doc pages on Snitches and Switching snitches. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

What i understood is we can run multi DC cluster with GossipingPropertyFileSnitch itself , even with single cluster having three DC on on-premise and one DC in AWS ?

Single cluster with 04 DC of which 03 DC are on on-premise and 01 DC on AWS ? .

Some where I read when using AWS EC2 Instance for Cassandra recommended to use EC2Snitch .

Thanks

Gangadhara

0 Likes 0 ·

GPFS is the recommended snitch for the reasons I specified in my answer. Not EC2 snitch. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·