Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

hellodk avatar image
hellodk asked Erick Ramirez edited

Attempts to restart DSE fails with error "MismatchedInputException: No content to map due to end-of-input"

Hello Team,

Here goes my use case.
I'm evaluating dse_full on my laptop(Ubuntu 18.04) by running 4 vagrant servers(ubuntu 18.04 server)

The cluster worked great until I reboot my laptop. Cassandra refuses to start with the below error.

DEBUG [main] 2020-05-25 15:12:16,737 Nodes.java:188 - Reading /var/lib/cassandra/metadata/nodes/local
ERROR [main] 2020-05-25 15:12:16,754 DseModule.java:126 - Unable to start server. Exiting...
org.apache.cassandra.io.FSReadError: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.MismatchedInputException: No content to map due to end-of-input
        at [Source: (BufferedInputStream); line: -1, column: 0]
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes.transactionalRead(Nodes.java:195)
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes.access$100(Nodes.java:76)
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes$Local.<init>(Nodes.java:477)
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes.<init>(Nodes.java:97)
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes$Instance.setup(Nodes.java:911)
        at org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.applyMetadata(DatabaseDescriptor.java:545)
        at org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.daemonInitialization(DatabaseDescriptor.java:226)
        at org.apache.cassandra.config.DatabaseDescriptor.daemonInitialization(DatabaseDescriptor.java:241)
        at com.datastax.bdp.DseCoreModule.<init>(DseCoreModule.java:84)
        at com.datastax.bdp.DseModule.getRequiredModules(DseModule.java:163)
        at com.datastax.bdp.server.AbstractDseModule.configure(AbstractDseModule.java:27)
        at com.datastax.bdp.DseModule.configure(DseModule.java:89)
        at com.google.inject.AbstractModule.configure(AbstractModule.java:62)
        at com.google.inject.spi.Elements$RecordingBinder.install(Elements.java:340)
        at com.google.inject.spi.Elements.getElements(Elements.java:110)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorShell$Builder.build(InjectorShell.java:138)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InternalInjectorCreator.build(InternalInjectorCreator.java:104)
        at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:96)
        at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:73)
        at com.google.inject.Guice.createInjector(Guice.java:62)
        at com.datastax.bdp.ioc.DseInjector.get(DseInjector.java:36)
        at com.datastax.bdp.DseModule.main(DseModule.java:103)
Caused by: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.MismatchedInputException: No content to map due to end-of-input
        at [Source: (BufferedInputStream); line: -1, column: 0]
        at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.MismatchedInputException.from(MismatchedInputException.java:59)
        at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.DeserializationContext.reportInputMismatch(DeserializationContext.java:1356)
        at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader._initForReading(ObjectReader.java:358)
        at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader._bindAndClose(ObjectReader.java:1596)
        at com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader.readValue(ObjectReader.java:1188)
        at com.datastax.bdp.db.nodes.Nodes.transactionalRead(Nodes.java:191)
        ... 21 common frames omitted

If you can help throw some light as to why Datastax Cassandra is behaving like this.
PS. I have tried with Apache Cassandra, and it works just fine.

Cheers,

Deepak

dse
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

@hellodk The log messages you posted indicates that DSE cannot start because it couldn't read some files from the filesystem (FSReadError):

ERROR [main] 2020-05-25 15:12:16,754 DseModule.java:126 - Unable to start server. Exiting...
org.apache.cassandra.io.FSReadError: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.exc.MismatchedInputException: No content to map due to end-of-input

DSE was trying to read this file and parse it but it was empty:

DEBUG [main] 2020-05-25 15:12:16,737 Nodes.java:188 - Reading /var/lib/cassandra/metadata/nodes/local

This can happen for various reasons but the most likely are:

• DSE was not shutdown cleanly before the laptop was rebooted
  • the filesystem got corrupted (for whatever reason)

You can workaround the issue by deleting the file /var/lib/cassandra/metadata/nodes/local. After you have deleted it, you should be able to start DSE (unless there are other issues with the filesystem) and DSE will recreate the file. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for a clear explanation. I guess that should be correct for now. I have reinstalled de-full and everything seems ok again.
Will try your workaround if the issue persists.

0 Likes 0 ·

Not a problem. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·