Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

dmngaya avatar image
dmngaya asked dmngaya commented

Why does the pod not recover when Docker is rebooted on my Mac?

I have successfully installed apache cassandra in my kubernetes environment on Mac Os using the Kubernetes Operator instructions from datastax enterprise.

The problem is that when I reboot my docker desktop the cassandra pod that was running on that node never recover:

Dieudonnes-MBP:~ dmngaya$ kubectl -n cass-operator get pod -o wide
NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE IP NODE NOMINATED NODE READINESS GATES
cass-operator-f68f44f8f-hqzp6 1/1 Running 17 26h 10.244.3.2 kind-cassandra-worker <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-0 1/2 Running 2 14h 10.244.5.2 kind-cassandra-worker2 <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-1 1/2 Running 2 14h 10.244.4.2 kind-cassandra-worker3 <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-2 1/2 Terminating 0 15h 10.244.5.2 kind-cassandra-worker4 <none> <none>

What can i do to resolve this issue ?

Best regards.

kubernetes
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered dmngaya commented

@dmngaya Our engineers advise that Kind clusters are not resilient enough to handle Docker outages or interruptions, including reboots. It isn't an issue with the Cassandra operator -- it is just a victim of the underlying problem with Kind.

As a workaround, cleanly shutdown the pods and recover them one by one. Cheers!

1 comment Share
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for your response.

How can i do to cleanly shutdown the pods and recover them ?

Best regards

1 Like 1 ·