Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

DLazeroms avatar image
DLazeroms asked Erick Ramirez edited

Struggling to connect to Astra DB with Node.js driver following the workshop series from July 2020

First of all, I am new to these kind of things, so this is probably a noob question.

I am following the 8-part Cassandra course on YouTube and in the third video (link to video), they go over connecting with Cassandra with a driver, for example on Gitpod. I believe that since then, some things have changed with the params for making connections (clientId and client secret). So instead of the "db_connection.js" used in the video, I added an "connect-database.js" as suggested on the tab Connect > Connect using a driver > Node.js on Astra and changed the references from db_connection.js to connect-database.js.

When I run

node connect-database.js

I get the response "Hello from cluster: cndb", which looks to me like I managed to get a connection.

Then, when I follow along the tutorial and go to exercise 2 in "Ex02_Connect_to_Cassandra.js". In the first line I changed "db_connection.js " > "connect-database.js ":

const connection = require('./connect-database');
const Uuid       = require('cassandra-driver').types.Uuid;

console.log("========================================")
console.log("Start exercise")

connection.client
.execute('SELECT * FROM system.local')
.then(function(result) {
result.rows.forEach(row => {
        console.log("Your are now connected to cluster '%s'", row.cluster_name)
    })
    connection.client.shutdown()
    console.log("SUCCESS")
})
.catch(function(error){
    console.log(error.message)
    connection.client.shutdown()
});

console.log("========================================")

and I run:

node Ex02_Connect_to_Cassandra.js 

I get the response "TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'execute') at Object.<anonymous> (/workspace/cassandra-workshop-series/week3-AppDev-crud/crud-nodejs/Ex02_Connect_to_Cassandra.js:8:2)". Which suggests to me that something is going wrong at the "execute" half way, but I can't figure out how to solve this.

astra dbnode.js driver
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

DLazeroms avatar image
DLazeroms answered

Already solved it by just following the instructions on Astra instead of the tutorial.

10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.