Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Burhan avatar image
Burhan asked Erick Ramirez commented

Batch execution only updates data and does not insert new data

Hi Dev's,

Below is my code

BatchStatement batch = BatchStatement.newInstance(BatchType.UNLOGGED).addAll(list);

session.execute(batch);

where list is an ArrayList of PreparedStatements containing Insert queries

As insert is an upsert operation, so it updates an already existing record, but for a new record, it does not perform an insert nor does nit throw any exception/error

There are 2 tables in cassandra

1)Customer

Primary Key = (customerId, brand)

2)Campaign

Primary Key = (customerId, brand, name, version)

These tables contains UDT columns as well.

The Batch Execution will contain 1 customer insert/update and multiple campaign insert/update statements

The main intention is to achieve atomicity which ensures that if any one statement fails then it will fail the entire batch

batch
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

You won't be able to achieve atomicity because you've configured your batches to be UNLOGGED. The all-or-none guarantee only exists with LOGGED batches.

Why new data isn't inserted, I can't tell because I don't have enough information. My hypothesis is that you haven't constructed the statements correctly so the data isn't getting inserted as you expected. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Hi @Erick Ramirez,

Thanks a lot for replying. When I use Logged batches, it gives me the below error

"Logged batches are not supported for this type of batch requests"

Any idea why I am facing this?

Thanks & Regards,

Burhan

0 Likes 0 ·

Asked and answered in question #13493. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·