Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

a.porfirio_45462 avatar image
a.porfirio_45462 asked a.porfirio_45462 commented

Is it possible to downgrade from Apache Cassandra 4.0 to 3.11?

I am testing the upgrade of a Cassandra cluster from version 3.11.4 to 4.0.1 and, viceversa, the subsequent downgrade from 4.0.1 to 3.11.4, to better understand all the steps and possible rollback. While the upgrade step is smooth and easy to perform, the downgrade presents a big problem: the new SStables are incompatible with the older version, and the tool sstableupgrade does not seem to work. Is there a way to rollback an upgrade procedure or is it totally not possible?

Thank you in advance.

upgradedowngrade
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

steve.lacerda avatar image
steve.lacerda answered a.porfirio_45462 commented

I agree with @smadhavan with an addition in that if you don't have multiple DC's, you could do a backup before the upgrade. Then if you want to roll back, you would restore back those sstables from the 3.11.x version.

With the above said, if you have multiple DC's that's a much easier option.

2 comments Share
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

oh yeah! Please Backup Backup Backup before you begin your upgrade :-)
0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you all for your replies: so, no way for now, to downgrade the upgraded SSTables, better to take a snapshot before upgrade or to use a second datacenter for data recovery, if possible.

Clear, I will test both solutions, thank you again.

0 Likes 0 ·
smadhavan avatar image
smadhavan answered

@a.porfirio_45462, if you've replication happening to more than 1 datacenter (DC), you could start the upgrade from 3.11.x to 4.0.x and complete it just on the 1st DC and then for rollback install the old version to replicate from the other DC. I am not sure if there is a direct downgrade option available in this route. Other resources to explore are below,

10 |1000