Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

mg2811 avatar image
mg2811 asked Erick Ramirez commented

Waiting for version 8 of PHP driver

We are still waiting for PHP 8 Driver. It's very sad to hear that you can't work on it. We would like to be able to work with Cassandra in PHP world too. Cassandra is further developed in all other programming languages except for php. I'm jealous. We don't want to look for an alternative.

Update: People from Nano Interactive working for PHP 8 version: https://github.com/nano-interactive/php-driver

php driver
1 comment
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Nice community

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

It isn't so much a case of "can't" or "won't" work on the driver. We haven't had any PHP developers for several years combined with the lack of demand from the community so we've had to prioritise the other drivers.

However, I want to point out that we are continuing to accept contributions from the community in the form of pull requests so if you'd like to contribute, you're very welcome to do so.

For what it's worth, all the DataStax drivers are being donated to the Apache foundation including the PHP driver (Cassandra Enhancement Proposal CEP-8) so the community can continue maintaining it.

You should also consider using Stargate.io -- an open-source data gateway that allows you to connect to a Cassandra cluster using RESTful, GraphQL and JSON/Doc APIs. For example, adding a new record is as easy as sending a POST request to the endpoint /api/rest/v2/keyspaces/db_name/table_name/.

We have free tutorials on datastax.com/dev which will show you how to easily perform CRUD operations using the Stargate APIs. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Google says: "PHP is used by 78.9% of all websites with a known server-side programming language." But Datastax prioritise the other drivers and PHP developers will still using MySQL or MongoDB. For me this makes no sense.

Why does datastax not make people aware that they are looking for PHP or C developers who would like to volunteer. Spoiler: I am not a C developer.

Stargate.io is maybe easy but what about the performance. I think stargate.io affects the performance. Can you prove me wrong?

Thanks for your support

0 Likes 0 ·

In relation to "Datastax prioritise the other drivers", a friendly note that DataStax does not "own" the drivers -- it is open-source and therefore owned by the community. We happened to have full time maintainers of the drivers but don't anymore. The contributors to the drivers today for the most part do a lot of the work in their spare time. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·