Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

gmldba_107428 avatar image
gmldba_107428 asked Erick Ramirez commented

Operation not permitted in nodetool scrub

I was executing nodetool scrub and got the following error:

java.nio.file.FileSystemException: /cassandra/data/kairosdb/data_points-30a1be5056f03cd9b45e73c17e713695/snapshots/pre-scrub-1633351934710/me-240571-big-TOC.txt -> /cassandra/data/kairosdb/data_points-30a1be5056f03cd9b45e73c17e713695/me-240571-big-TOC.txt: Operation not permitted

How can I fix this?

nodetoolscrub
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

There is no way to know what the problem is from the limited information you provided. On its own, that exception is meaningless.

If I were to guess, you've run into filesystem permission issues although that's pure conjecture due to the lack of detail.

Please update your original question to include:

• the full error message
  • the full stack trace
  • the full command you were running

You should also check the Cassandra logs for clues on the root cause. You should always investigate on your own first before posting a question. And when you do, it would be very useful if you include details of what you investigated and the result of your investigation since others are more inclined to help you if you can show that you've done some pre-work. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Full disclosure, I ran some sstablesplit that did not finish—produced many corrupted files. Deleted the files and full repairs fixed it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Without knowing details like Cassandra version and the full error messages + full stack trace, it's impossible to know what's going on but in my experience, there are only a handful of bugs which could cause corruptions. In my experience, the most likely cause of corruptions are hardware failures.

I'd highly recommend you get your sysadmins to check your disks and operating system since you might have an impending disk failure you're not aware of. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·