Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

philtastic avatar image
philtastic asked Erick Ramirez edited

SHOW VIEWS command not supported

Hi all,

I'm new to Spark(3.1.2), Cassandra(4.0~rc2) and the Spark Cassandra connector(3.1.0). I'm trying to store data in Cassandra that can then be queried from a Tableau instance via Sparks ThriftServer. I managed to set everything up and be able to query Cassandra via Spark's ThriftServer using beeline.

I have the problem, that when connecting from Tableau, it sends the SHOW VIEWS command to ThriftServer to discover the tables in my cassandra keyspace. The command seems to be not supported by cass (my spark-cassandra-connector-catalog name) which forwards it to the cassandra catalog but the error message indicates that spark-cassandra-connector does not support this command.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the SHOW VIEWS command really not supported by the spark-cassandra-connector?

0: jdbc:hive2://my_ip:10000/my_db> show views;
Error: org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException: Error running query: org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: Catalog cass doesn't support SHOW VIEWS, only SessionCatalog supports this command.
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation.org$apache$spark$sql$hive$thriftserver$SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$execute(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:361)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$anon$2$$anon$3.$anonfun$run$2(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:263)
at scala.runtime.java8.JFunction0$mcV$sp.apply(JFunction0$mcV$sp.java:23)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkOperation.withLocalProperties(SparkOperation.scala:78)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkOperation.withLocalProperties$(SparkOperation.scala:62)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation.withLocalProperties(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:43)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$anon$2$$anon$3.run(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:263)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$anon$2$$anon$3.run(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:258)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:423)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1730)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$anon$2.run(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:272)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)
Caused by: org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: Catalog cass doesn't support SHOW VIEWS, only SessionCatalog supports this command.
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.ResolveSessionCatalog$$anonfun$apply$1.applyOrElse(ResolveSessionCatalog.scala:539)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.ResolveSessionCatalog$$anonfun$apply$1.applyOrElse(ResolveSessionCatalog.scala:48)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.$anonfun$resolveOperatorsUp$3(AnalysisHelper.scala:90)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.trees.CurrentOrigin$.withOrigin(TreeNode.scala:74)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.$anonfun$resolveOperatorsUp$1(AnalysisHelper.scala:90)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper$.allowInvokingTransformsInAnalyzer(AnalysisHelper.scala:221)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.resolveOperatorsUp(AnalysisHelper.scala:86)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.resolveOperatorsUp$(AnalysisHelper.scala:84)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.LogicalPlan.resolveOperatorsUp(LogicalPlan.scala:29)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.ResolveSessionCatalog.apply(ResolveSessionCatalog.scala:48)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.ResolveSessionCatalog.apply(ResolveSessionCatalog.scala:39)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.$anonfun$execute$2(RuleExecutor.scala:216)
at scala.collection.LinearSeqOptimized.foldLeft(LinearSeqOptimized.scala:126)
at scala.collection.LinearSeqOptimized.foldLeft$(LinearSeqOptimized.scala:122)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.foldLeft(List.scala:89)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.$anonfun$execute$1(RuleExecutor.scala:213)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.$anonfun$execute$1$adapted(RuleExecutor.scala:205)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:392)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.execute(RuleExecutor.scala:205)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.Analyzer.org$apache$spark$sql$catalyst$analysis$Analyzer$$executeSameContext(Analyzer.scala:196)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.Analyzer.execute(Analyzer.scala:190)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.Analyzer.execute(Analyzer.scala:155)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.$anonfun$executeAndTrack$1(RuleExecutor.scala:183)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.QueryPlanningTracker$.withTracker(QueryPlanningTracker.scala:88)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.rules.RuleExecutor.executeAndTrack(RuleExecutor.scala:183)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.Analyzer.$anonfun$executeAndCheck$1(Analyzer.scala:174)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper$.markInAnalyzer(AnalysisHelper.scala:228)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.analysis.Analyzer.executeAndCheck(Analyzer.scala:173)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.$anonfun$analyzed$1(QueryExecution.scala:73)
at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.QueryPlanningTracker.measurePhase(QueryPlanningTracker.scala:111)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.$anonfun$executePhase$1(QueryExecution.scala:143)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.withActive(SparkSession.scala:775)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.executePhase(QueryExecution.scala:143)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.analyzed$lzycompute(QueryExecution.scala:73)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.analyzed(QueryExecution.scala:71)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.assertAnalyzed(QueryExecution.scala:63)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$.$anonfun$ofRows$2(Dataset.scala:98)
at org.apache.spark.sql.Dataset$.ofRows(Dataset.scala:96)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.$anonfun$sql$1(SparkSession.scala:618)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.sql(SparkSession.scala:613)
at org.apache.spark.sql.SQLContext.sql(SQLContext.scala:650)
at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation.org$apache$spark$sql$hive$thriftserver$SparkExecuteStatementOperation$$execute(SparkExecuteStatementOperation.scala:325)
... 16 more (state=,code=0)

Any help or pointing in the right direction is appreciated!

Thanks!

spark-cassandra-connector
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

jaroslaw.grabowski_50515 avatar image
jaroslaw.grabowski_50515 answered Erick Ramirez edited

Hi! As the exception suggests, only Spark's SessionCatalog supports this command. This is a Spark limitation - data source v2 (data interface that Spark Cassandra Connector implements) doesn't support views.

You could try connecting to the default catalog (don't set `cass` catalog as default) and then switch to `cass` or use fully-qualified names, like:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW my_view AS SELECT key,val FROM cass.my_ks.my_cassanda_table;
1 comment Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to access the data in Tableau using the Spark SessionCatalog.

[Post converted to a comment since it's not an "answer"]

0 Likes 0 ·