Our Cassandra cluster has 9 nodes and uses SimpleSnitch (it is what it is). We'd like to move to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch (in single DC, still). Is that possible to perform it without downtime?
We've got the following plan:
1. fill cassandra-rackdc.properties on the each node with:
2. set endpoint_snitch in cassandra.yaml on the each node:
3. restart the nodes one at a time.
We assume that Cassandra will assemble a cluster with a new snitch successfully, as far as all the nodes are still located in the same DC. Is that assumption correct?
Next we want:
1. switch topology from SimpleStrategy to NetworkTopologyStrategy for each keyspace.
2. place the data to the dedicated racks and nodes as described here.
Is this the correct approach? If not, then can you please advice the correct way?