This article assumes you have installed Pentaho Data Integration on your laptop or PC. It was written for version 9.1 on MacOS but it should also work for the Windows version.
Download the JDBC driver from the DataStax website:
- Go to https://downloads.datastax.com/#odbc-jdbc-drivers.
- Select Simba JDBC Driver for Apache Cassandra.
- Select JDBC 4.2.
- Read the license terms and accept it (click the checkbox).
- Hit the blue Download button.
- Once the download completes, unzip the downloaded file.
Deploy the Simba driver to Pentaho servers using the distribution tool:
- On your laptop or PC, copy the Simba JAR to the JDBC distribution directory:
$ cp CassandraJDBC42.jar pentaho/jdbc-distribution/
- Run the distribution tool (
$ cd /Applications/Pentaho/jdbc-distribution $ ./distribute-files.sh CassandraJDBC42.jar
- Verify that the JAR has been copied to the PDI library:
$ cd /Applications/Pentaho $ ls -lh design-tools/data-integration/lib/CassandraJDBC42.jar -rw-r--r-- 1 erick vaxxed 16M 14 Sep 22:18 design-tools/data-integration/lib/CassandraJDBC42.jar $ file design-tools/data-integration/lib/CassandraJDBC42.jar design-tools/data-integration/lib/CassandraJDBC42.jar: Java archive data (JAR)
- Restart Pentaho on your workstation for the Simba driver to be loaded.
Connect to your Astra DB in PDI:
- Create a new Transformation.
- Open a new Database Connection dialog box.
- In the Connection name field, give your DB connection a name.
- Under Connection type, select Generic database.
- Set the Custom connection URL to:
- Set the Custom connection URLto:
jdbc:cassandra://;AuthMech=2;TunableConsistency=6;SecureConnectionBundlePath=/path/to/secure-connect-getvaxxed.zipNote that you will need to specify the full path to your secure bundle.
- In the Username field, enter the string
- In the Password field, paste the value of the token you created in the Prerequisites section above. The token looks like
- Click on the Test Connectionbutton to confirm that the driver configuration is working:
- Click on the OK button to save the connection settings.
Connect to your Astra DB by launching the SQL Editor in Pentaho and run a simple CQL statement. For example:
Here's an example output:
You should also be able to browse the keyspaces in your Astra DB using the DataBase Explorer. Here's an example output: