Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

secretshardul avatar image
secretshardul asked Erick Ramirez edited

Why does paging through documents with Stargate return "Illegal base64 character 20"?

I am able to fetch documents using this API:

curl -X GET "https://$ASTRA_DB_ID-$ASTRA_DB_REGION.apps.astra.datastax.com/api/rest/v2/namespaces/my_namespace/collections/my_collection?page-size=1" \
  -H "X-Cassandra-Token: $ASTRA_AUTHORIZATION_TOKEN"

It gives me this result

{
    "pageState": "JDI3ODgyZTUyLTc2YTQtNGEwNi05MGU3LWVjODFkN2MzNDQzZRL/VVVVVVVVVVQEZGF0YeFVVVXwf////vB////+",
    "data": {
        "27882e52-76a4-4a06-90e7-ec81d7c3443e": {
            "data": "{\"name\": \"jack\"}"
        }
    }
}

As per the documentation, pagination can be done using 'page-state' query parameter. I tried using the 'pageState' value I obtained above, but am getting the below error. What is the correct way to paginate?

Illegal base64 character 20

Here's the CURL with 'page-state':

curl -X GET "https://$ASTRA_DB_ID-$ASTRA_DB_REGION.apps.astra.datastax.com/api/rest/v2/namespaces/my_namespace/collections/my_collection?page-size=1&page-state=JDI3ODgyZTUyLTc2YTQtNGEwNi05MGU3LWVjODFkN2MzNDQzZRL/VVVVVVVVVVQEZGF0YeFVVVXwf////vB////+" \
  -H "X-Cassandra-Token: $ASTRA_AUTHORIZATION_TOKEN"
stargate
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

secretshardul avatar image
secretshardul answered smadhavan commented

Figured it out. The page-state must be made URL safe. I used this online tool and got

JDI3ODgyZTUyLTc2YTQtNGEwNi05MGU3LWVjODFkN2MzNDQzZRL%2FVVVVVVVVVVQEZGF0YeFVVVXwf%2F%2F%2F%2FvB%2F%2F%2F%2F%2B

Pagination now works as expected. Kindly update the Swagger documentation for benefit of other users.

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Great job finding your own solution and updating the community with what you learned!

1 Like 1 ·

Glad you've figured out yourself. As the requirement state, you will need to url encode your values.

Note that the where clause must be url encoded, so for e.g. curly brackets are escaped with \ and spaces must be replaced with %20.

1 Like 1 ·