Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

secretshardul avatar image
secretshardul asked ·

Are the Stargate namespace and Cassandra keyspace the same?

[FOLLOW UP QUESTION TO #9912]

Still having confusion between namespace and keyspace. Are they the same? This is because

• The two APIs to get the names of keyspaces and namespaces respectively give the same results.
  • When I created a cluster, Astra asked me to set a namespace. The document API documentation instructs using the same keyspace name as the namespace attribute when making queries.
stargate
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Yes, they are the same.

The term "keyspace" is only used in Apache Cassandra whereas the term "namespace" is generic enough and used in various database implementations that most developers understand it. This is the reason that namespace is used in Stargate.

Stargate provides an abstraction layer for accessing and/or manipulating your data regardless of the underlying storage. Stargate can be used to connect to any database by extending the persistence layer and Cassandra is the first implementation.

The authors of Stargate chose not to use Cassandra-specific terminology so as not to limit Stargate's adoption.

For what it's worth, Stargate is an open-source project with contributions open to everyone. If you have any follow up questions, my recommendation is to engage with the Stargate Community directly, particularly on Discord since that is the right forum for your Stargate questions so you get access to the engineers working on the project. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.