Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

melchizshroff_193301 avatar image
melchizshroff_193301 asked ·

Data redundancy

Let us suppose in data modeling we decide to have duplicates of temperature data across two tables. One table records temperature collected by sensors and other temperature is recorded by other means. If we have to take account of last 10 days of temperature do we say that there are 10 copies from our data model for temperature data or just 2 copies of temperature data.

data modeling
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Your question doesn't make sense to me. It would really help if you elaborate and provide some examples of the table schema + data.

I don't quite understand why you think temperatures recorded over 10 days are 10 copies of the temperature because I can't see them being related at all.

But if you recorded temperature X at time Y and recorded the same X temperature in tables A and B then it makes sense to me that you have 2 copies of the same temp X taken at time Y. But if the temperature was taken at some other time Z then I can't see it being a copy regardless of whether it's the same X value. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.