Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

thephilosoft_191196 avatar image
thephilosoft_191196 asked ·

Will PHP driver be updated to support PHP 7.4 / PHP 8 or is it abandoned forever?

Just 1 question from title - are there any plans to support PHP beyond maintenance/security fixes for current existing driver? Plans to support PHP 7.4 / PHP 8 even without new features?

php driver
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

The PHP driver isn't quite abandoned but it's just that there aren't any contributors to the driver right now. It was difficult to justify ongoing maintenance of the driver given the very low usage over the last few years.

If you choose to do so, you can build the driver against all versions of PHP 7.x if you wish. Details are in PHP-221.

For what it's worth, all the DataStax drivers are being donated to the Apache foundation including the PHP driver (Cassandra Enhancement Proposal CEP-8) so all willing contributors are welcome to continue maintaining it. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks, for a quick reply. I've successfully built and used it in local dev environment and in production with php 7.3.* since at least early 2019, with 7.4 and debian buster it turned out not to be so easy as with 7.3 and stretch). I will try harder then)

As for maintenance, sadly my last project with C was more than 10 years ago, C++ even longer, so it's far from my field of expertise and personal interest (since there is no need for cassandra on pet-projects)

0 Likes 0 ·

We are sympathetic but as I said, the lack of demand for the PHP driver makes it difficult to justify the effort for ongoing maintenance. Cheers!

1 Like 1 ·