Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Valuser avatar image
Valuser asked ·

How do I restore from a multi-node cluster?

Hi. I am trying to restore from a 3 node cluster to 2 node /one node cluster. I have taken the snapshot of the 3 node cluster ( its has 3 tables).

The snapshot is in a directory called cassandra/data/keyspace1/table1, cassandra/data/keyspace1/table2.. and similarly one more .

I am using sstableloader to restore them ( i can only use that) . Can i restore that entire keyspace to my target cluster? Or should i do it table by table? What is the command for either of the above options?

Will restoring via sstableloader overwrite some of the existing tables if present in the keyspace or skip them?

Thanks

restore
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

The Cassandra bulk loader utility sstableloader loads table snapshots to a cluster by streaming relevant parts of SSTables to destination nodes. In this context, "relevant parts" means the data which belongs in the token range(s) owned by the destination nodes.

To respond to your questions directly:

• Each sstableloader instance can load data one table at a time.
  • The streamed data will only overwrite existing data if they are newer. Recall that reads return only the latest version of the data based on the write timestamp.
  • The utility does not read data -- it simply streams the SSTables to the destination nodes.

To run the utility:

$ sstableloader -d ip1,ip2,ip3 [options] /path/to/ks_name/table_name

For full details, see Cassandra bulk loader. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.