Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

arnulf.hanauer_193730 avatar image
arnulf.hanauer_193730 asked ·

How I can resume bootstrap if authentication fails?

I am busy replacing a dead node using the "cassandra.replace.address" option in the cassandra-env.sh file.

The initial bootstrap works fine, but one of the streams is aborted with a peer reset/broken pipe. So now I am trying to continue the bootstrap.

The documentation refers to "nodetool bootstrap resume" but when I try this command, I get the following authentication error and am unable to continue.

$ nodetool -u xxxxxx -pw yyyyy bootstrap resume
nodetool: Failed to connect to '127.0.0.1:7199' - FailedLoginException: 'Cannot login as server authentication setup is not yet completed'.

What is the correct way to restart a bootstrap resume when Cassandra authentication is enabled.

bootstrap
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

It appears that you're running the command while the node hasn't finished initialising yet so you can't login to the node.

If you're not able to resolve that issue, I'd recommend temporarily disabling authentication then restart the node as a workaround. Just remember that you need to enable authentication again after the node has successfully bootstrapped. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks Erick,

Quick follow-up question: Would that require disabling authentication for the entire cluster (multiple nodes across multiple DC's) and restarting all the nodes or just disable authentication for the single replacement node and then restart the bootstrap/replacement from scratch i.e. delete all existing data/logs etc?

0 Likes 0 · ·
Erick Ramirez avatar image Erick Ramirez ♦♦ arnulf.hanauer_193730 ·

Just for the node that you're bootstrapping so you can run commands locally without having to authenticate.

You shouldn't need to delete anything since you are resuming the bootstrap. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·