DataStax Academy FAQ

DataStax Academy migrated to a new learning management system (LMS) in July 2020. We are also moving to a new Cassandra Certification process so there are changes to exam bookings, voucher system and issuing of certificates.

Check out the Academy FAQ pages for answers to your questions:

question

lxs1 avatar image
lxs1 asked ·

Why can't I unpack the DSE 6.0 tarball in the DS201 course VM?

[FOLLOW UP QUESTION TO #5302]

I am having the same problem as question #5302, tried the solution but it did not solve the problem. Thoughts? Thanks.

When running tar -xf dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz, I'm also getting:

tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

ds201
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

The DSE 6.0 tarball is a compressed archive so you also need to specify the unzip flag (-z) in the command.

Here is the correct command to unpack the tarball:

$ tar xzf dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz

In some cases the downloaded tarball may also be corrupted so if you are still having issues unpacking it, verify the file type and compare the checksum against these:

$ file dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz
dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from FAT filesystem (MS-DOS, OS/2, NT)
$ cksum dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz 
3517560460 911703665 dse-6.0.0-bin.tar.gz

In addition, validate the OVA file you downloaded against this checksum:

$ cksum DS201-VM-6.0.ova
535688765 2881041408 DS201-VM-6.0.ova

It is unlikely that the VirtualBox image would be corrupted given that you have successfully imported it already but I've mentioned it here for completeness.

If any of the above don't match, it will confirm that your copy is corrupted and you will need to download them again. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks so much! It was corrupted a few times. The cksum also helped a great deal!

0 Likes 0 · ·

Good to hear. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·