Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez asked ·

Are there breaking changes between Java driver 3.4 and 4.9?

I was asked this question today on the Cassandra mailing list:

I am considering migration my application Cassandra Java driver from 3.4 to 4.9. Are there breaking changes between 3.4 and 4.9 (I expect so to be honest but I want to get a feel of how much effort there might be).

I want to implement backward paging feature in my application. I can either implement it in the application like Alex Ott mentioned in [Stack Overflow] or I could migrate to 4.9. I am wondering which would be relatively easier.

java driver
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Java driver 4 is not binary-compatible with older versions.

Our recommendation is that to upgrade to the latest version instead of re-coding your app for an older version.

If you run into issues with the older version, you will have to upgrade anyway to get the fix. Java driver v3.4 was released in January 2018 so it's very old.

For more info, see the Java driver 4 Upgrade Guide. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.