DataStax Academy FAQ

DataStax Academy migrated to a new learning management system (LMS) in July 2020. We are also moving to a new Cassandra Certification process so there are changes to exam bookings, voucher system and issuing of certificates.

Check out the Academy FAQ pages for answers to your questions:

question

plascio_139192 avatar image
plascio_139192 asked ·

ERROR: DSE failed to start. Please check your logs.

Hello Group,

I am trying to install DSE as part of course DS210.

Get the following error after I run this command:

ubuntu@ds210-node1:~$ sudo service dse start
* Starting DSE daemon dse
DSE daemon starting with only Cassandra enabled (edit /etc/default/dse to enable other features)
/etc/init.d/dse: 503: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)
ERROR: DSE failed to start. Please check your logs.

Kindly help me.

Need to get it working for preparing for certification.

Thanking you all in advance

ds210installation
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

bettina.swynnerton avatar image
bettina.swynnerton answered ·

Hi @plascio_139192,

you can ignore these warnings:

DSE daemon starting with only Cassandra enabled (edit /etc/default/dse to enable other features)/etc/init.d/dse: 503: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)

But you will need to follow the advice given in the last line and check your logs what is preventing the start of DSE.

The logs are by default in /var/log/cassandra/system.log

Have a look at the last few lines of the file to see what the error is and what might be preventing the successful start.

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Dear Bettina,

Thank you for the quick reply.

The last lines of: /var/log/cassandra/system.log

INFO: An exception was caught and reported. Message: 

org.apache.cassandra.exceptions.ConfigurationException: Invalid yaml: file:/etc/dse/cassandra/cassandra.yamlError: while parsing a block mappingin 'reader', line 11, column 1:cluster_name: 'KillrVideoCluster' expected <block end>, but found BlockMappingStartin 'reader', line 26, column 3:num_tokens: 8 

Will be very thankful if I am able to get over this issue and continue in my certification preparation.

Thanks n Regards,

Plascio

0 Likes 0 · ·

Hi @plascio_139192,

thanks for adding more clarification. The stack trace details resulted in your comment being redirected to the moderation queue, so I have edited your comment to the essential part:

Invalid yaml: file:/etc/dse/cassandra/cassandra.yaml

Please revisit the exercise and review in detail the modifications that you made to the cassandra.yaml as per the exercise instruction. Check that you have not included any additional spaces or indentations, as these can cause these kind of yaml issues.

DSE doesn't start, as the yaml cannot be parsed correctly.

Cheers

0 Likes 0 · ·