Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

adampaul avatar image
adampaul asked ·

Getting "Reindexing 3321592 commit log updates for core testks1.employeetest" on startup

I have created one test cluster for learning solr indexing and i am still learning the same please help me in this case

I have 2 node cluster , one is solr enabled node on which i have inserted bunch of data and i dont know why but solr node got down automatically i tried finding in logs but no luck but post restarting both node on dse node i am getting this :

Reindexing 3321592 commit log updates for core testks1.employeetest

getting warns as well i.e WARN : Cannot index 'features.testfield' as it is not prefixed with 'features.features'

and i can see that solr.data folder size getting increased more than keyspace size

something is wrong in my cluster please help me

dsesearch
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

This reindexing on startup is normal and expected on startup of a DSE node running in Search mode:

Reindexing 3321592 commit log updates for core testks1.employeetest

The reindexing takes place when the mutations in the commit log get replayed.

The fact that there were over 3 million mutations to replay tells me you're overloading the nodes which causes them to go down, most likely due to an out-of-memory (OOM) error.

The solution is to not overload your cluster. If you want to increase the capacity of your cluster, you will need to add more nodes. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for the quick response and advise.

It took so much time for startup of dse solr node after this issue and i was unable to access node (connection refused) to check indexing status , i think i did something wrong should i change any configuration before loading bunch of data so that i can avoid this replay at the startup? What is best practice to follow for the same. Any need to perform flush after data insertion for solving this? Could you please advise in the same.

thanks you !!

0 Likes 0 · ·

The node won't accept requests until it has completed all the initialisation tasks which includes replaying the commit logs and indexing. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·