Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

sunilrpawar7_183464 avatar image
sunilrpawar7_183464 asked ·

How do I migrate data from one cluster to another which are the same size?

[FOLLOW UP QUESTION TO #4477]

If I have source and destination cluster identical in size then taking backup on each individual node (nodetool snapshot) and then using sstableloader to migrate that data to new nodes of the destination cluster. Is this we have to do for the respective node at the source and the corresponding node at the destination?

restore
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

IF the clusters have identical configuration:

• the cluster topologies are identical -- same number of DCs, same number of nodes in each DC
  • the token assignments are identical -- the assigned tokens for each node in one cluster is a mirror-image of the nodes in another cluster

then you can migrate the data using the "refresh method", i.e. copy the data from from a source to the equivalent destination node and run nodetool refresh.

This is a slight variation of the same procedure in Restoring a snapshot into a new cluster. I have documented the full detailed steps in post #4534.

IF the clusters are NOT identical, then you will need to follow the same procedure I documented in post #4477. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.