Build Cloud-Native apps with Apache Cassandra

GOT QUESTIONS from the Workshop? You're in the right place! Post a question here and we'll get you answers.

Click here for Week 8 Materials and Homework.

Follow us on Eventbrite to get notified when new workshops are scheduled!

question

vaish avatar image
vaish asked ·

Is it a good idea to run the week 5 exercise on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM?

Is it a good idea to run week 5 exercise on Ubuntu 20.04 VM? What are the things I have to be careful about if I want to run cass-operator this way?

workshopcass-operator
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bettina.swynnerton avatar image
bettina.swynnerton answered ·

Hi @vaish,

yes, you can definitely run the week 5 exercises on a Unbuntu 20.04 VM. The main issue to look out for is the need to allocate sufficient memory to your VM.

Have a look at this user's experience with Ubuntu 20.04, and our answers, I believe this will be helpful:

https://community.datastax.com/questions/7285/index.html

I hope this helps!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

To add to Bettina's answer, we recommend machines with at least 16GB of memory. It might work on a machine with 12GB but you will eventually run into resource issues.

In the workshop we only provided instructions for configuring KiND clusters on RHEL/CentOS distributions. You might be interested in this post I've published for Debian distros -- How to setup KinD on Ubuntu to run the Kubernetes cass-operator. Cheers!