Build Cloud-Native apps with Apache Cassandra

GOT QUESTIONS from the Workshop? You're in the right place! Post a question here and we'll get you answers.

Click here for Week 7 Materials and Homework.

Registrations still open!

question

stephaniesalvador1_162030 avatar image
stephaniesalvador1_162030 asked ·

How do I start both python API and node UI in same gitpod?

Follow-on question from question 6796

For step 4 - do I add /api to the end like the workshop instructions? ie: echo 'BASE_ADDRESS=https://5000-e53a1111-b194-4865-9d39-03a1bad1eeb4.ws-us02.gitpod.io' > .env

For step 5 - after submiting python getting_started_with_astra.py - do I leave that terminal alone (don't ctrl C)? How do you open a new terminal in gitpod?

workshop
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

bettina.swynnerton avatar image
bettina.swynnerton answered ·

Hi @stephaniesalvador1_162030,

yes, in step 4 you need to add the /api route to the end of your gitpod URL, so it should look like this:

echo 'BASE_ADDRESS=https://5000-e53a1111-b194-4865-9d39-03a1bad1eeb4.ws-us02.gitpod.io/api' > .env

For step 5, yes, you need to leave the python API running, this is your backend server, and it needs to keep running to serve your requests. Don't ctrl C out of it.

You need to run the node UI (the frontend server) in parallel.

You can add another terminal in gitpod by clicking the "split window" symbol in the upper right corner of the terminal window:

This will give you a second terminal window.

if you prefer to have the all in the same window and work by clicking on different tabs, you can drag the tab over into the first terminal window. Try it out.

Let me know if this gets you to a successful start.

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.