Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

sarlton9188_192889 avatar image
sarlton9188_192889 asked ·

What more can I do to learn Cassandra after doing the courses and workshops?

Good day all.

I am completely new to Cassandra and NoSQL. I have watched the courses, attended last week stream and will attend tomorrow morning, observed some questions from the datastax community and am still lost.

I really want to grasp this opportunity of the 8-week certification with both hands any advice on what I should do?

cassandraacademy
1 comment
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Just letting you know that we've had a high volume of questions in the last 48 hours and we've been caught up with the FREE Cassandra Workshop Series so our responses are delayed but we will get to them in the next few hours. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·
Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Well done on having watched the videos in the courses. Now that you have learned a bit more and hopefully picked up a few more ideas from the workshops, I recommend that you run through the exercises in the DataStax Academy courses.

I echo Bettina's advice. Nothing beats experience and we recommend your continue practicing by either building/reconfiguring clusters if you want to get into the operations side and become a C* administrator.

If you are a coder, try to write apps or extend the examples we have already provided so you get to understand it a bit better. We have also recently refreshed the DataStax for Developers site to make it even easier to learn Cassandra.

Once you start playing around and testing C*, you'll discover new things and run into issues you can't solve yourself -- those are the best teaching moments. If you have any questions, create a new post here in the Community and we would be happy to help. Cheers!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bettina.swynnerton avatar image
bettina.swynnerton answered ·

Hi @sarlton9188_192889,

first of all, thank you so much for your interest and for learning this new material.

Hopefully the workshops will give you some idea how you want to use Cassandra, as a developer or as an operator, or perhaps both.

The best compliment to the theoretical work is practice, and if you want to learn more, we encourage that you take your practice beyond the videos and exercises. For example, build an application that uses Cassandra, and the upcoming coding workshops are a good starting point. Or simulate load and monitor the behaviour of the database, here the second part of the workshop series will be most helpful.

Let's see how you assess your knowledge and skills after the workshop series, and where you find it most interesting to invest more of your time for practice.

If you are feeling lost with a particular task, let us know how we can help.

Cheers!