Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Barnesicle avatar image
Barnesicle asked ·

Low Powered Cluster

I am looking at Cassandra to use for a personal project. I was thinking of starting off with maybe 2 or 3 low resource nodes in a cluster.

I really like data modeling and the coding side of Cassandra. I am mostly worried about the operations side, mainly I am not sure how often errors come up that require attention.

I am fine setting it up and configuring it.

My question is, how reliable is Cassandra? Has anyone ran Cassandra with lower resources as well, say around 2-4 GB of ram and single core?

production
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

adityajain22_141041 avatar image
adityajain22_141041 answered ·

@Barnesicle , There is no problem in running Cassandra on single core with 2-4Gb RAM, as you stated you will be using for personal development use cases, With such low powered cluster just don't expect high performance transactions or performance.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@Barnesicle You can get away with a single-core server for personal use but 4GB of RAM is probably too low so you might find that the JVM is constantly pausing even for pure Cassandra workloads. We recommend a minimum of 8GB of RAM so you could allocate 4GB to the heap. Having said that, we have managed to cut the builds back to barebones so we could run Cassandra on several Raspberry Pi nodes. Cheers!