PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

Barnesicle avatar image
Barnesicle asked ·

Low Powered Cluster

I am looking at Cassandra to use for a personal project. I was thinking of starting off with maybe 2 or 3 low resource nodes in a cluster.

I really like data modeling and the coding side of Cassandra. I am mostly worried about the operations side, mainly I am not sure how often errors come up that require attention.

I am fine setting it up and configuring it.

My question is, how reliable is Cassandra? Has anyone ran Cassandra with lower resources as well, say around 2-4 GB of ram and single core?

production
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@Barnesicle You can get away with a single-core server for personal use but 4GB of RAM is probably too low so you might find that the JVM is constantly pausing even for pure Cassandra workloads. We recommend a minimum of 8GB of RAM so you could allocate 4GB to the heap. Having said that, we have managed to cut the builds back to barebones so we could run Cassandra on several Raspberry Pi nodes. Cheers!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

adityajain22_141041 avatar image
adityajain22_141041 answered ·

@Barnesicle , There is no problem in running Cassandra on single core with 2-4Gb RAM, as you stated you will be using for personal development use cases, With such low powered cluster just don't expect high performance transactions or performance.