PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

sunilrpawar7_183464 avatar image
sunilrpawar7_183464 asked ·

Can range repair replace repair of a table?

This is the follow-up question regarding the below issue:-

https://community.datastax.com/comments/5060/view.html

1. As we are not able to run tablewise repair on one particular table we are running a token-wise repair with -pr option on all available nodes. How much effective it is? Can we rely on it to get assured that it will work as effectively as a normal repair?

2. While running token-wise repair we are encountering an ERROR which states that request range(xxxxx,xxxxx) intersects a local range ((xxxxx,xxxxx) but is not fully contained in one, these would lead to imprecise repair. keyspace: system_auth

repair
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

It isn't a binary state meaning that those 2 are not mutually exclusive. You can do sub-range repairs (a) on the whole cluster, (b) on a keyspace, or (c) a table. I feel that maybe you misunderstood some of the concepts based on your questions. In any case, let me respond directly to your questions.

1. Primary range repairs (using the -pr flag) can be run (a) on the whole cluster, (b) on a keyspace, or (c) a table. We recommend using primary range repairs because it's very efficient and don't waste resources by repairing overlapping ranges. Primary range are repairs ARE normal repairs.
  2. This means that there was an issue with the range of tokens you specified in the subrange repair. It means that you made an error calculating the start and end tokens and that the node you're running it on doesn't own all the tokens in the range you specified.

For more information on the primary range repair and why it's the most efficient, see this blog post on Repair in Cassandra which explains it in detail. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Hi @Erick Ramirez, I will update my question. I think am not able to convey my query properly.

Requesting you to update your answer accordingly.

0 Likes 0 · ·

I've logged your update as a new post since it's a completely different question to what you originally asked in this post. Cheers!

1 Like 1 · ·