PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

GRV avatar image
GRV asked ·

OS Recommendations

I need to spin a new environment that will require the following tools
- DataStax Distribution of Apache Cassandra
- Confluent Kafka
- Postgre SQL
Any pointers which version of Linux I should use (Debian / CentOs/ Ubuntu/ __ )?

operating system
2 comments
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Are you going to run them on a single machine (dev env) or multiple machines (prod env)?

0 Likes 0 · ·
GRV avatar image GRV Aleks Volochnev ♦ ·

It will be multiple machines in dev and prod environments. My plan is to have dedicated machine(s) for Kafa, Zookeeper, and Cassandra.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Aleks Volochnev avatar image
Aleks Volochnev answered ·

Hey @GRV,

there are no direct recommendations from Postgres afaik. Confluent recommends using RHEL/CentOS, Debian or Ubuntu. Cassandra's default docker image built up using Debian, but it doesn't mean it will work not so good with any other mentioned OS - notice the @alex.ott's list of supported platforms.

I'd say, it's not about the OS you are using, it's about how you use it. Any of them may be miscofigured and perform badly. :) Personally, I'd stick to CentOS or Debian, but that's just because of my previous experience.

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks Aleks.

0 Likes 0 · ·
alex.ott avatar image
alex.ott answered ·

You can select from the list of supported platforms what is most comfortable for you.