Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Ryan Quey avatar image
Ryan Quey asked Erick Ramirez edited

Why does DSE startup report the exception "alwayson_sql_options.enabled in dse.yaml is set to true in a non-analytics node"?

I have gotten cassandra up and running on my local machine, but now trying to use Spark with it as well.

I am following these instructions here. I changed both `/etc/init.d/dse` and `/etc/default/dse` so that `SPARK_ENABLED=1` for good measure (I'm not sure which one needs to be changed when using the debian service, but I'm assuming it is safe to do both). I also changed `/etc/dse/dse.yaml` to enable AlwaysOn.

I then restarted DSE.

However, when I run `dse cassandra`, I get the following error message:

Exception (java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError) encountered during startup: null
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at com.datastax.bdp.server.DseDaemon.preSetup(DseDaemon.java:664)
        at com.datastax.bdp.server.DseDaemon.setup(DseDaemon.java:538)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.activate0(CassandraDaemon.java:733)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon.access$100(CassandraDaemon.java:85)
        at org.apache.cassandra.service.CassandraDaemon$3.run(CassandraDaemon.java:694)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: alwayson_sql_options.enabled in dse.yaml is set to true in a non-analytics node

I get the same message when trying to run from the tarball instead. On the other hand, I got it up and running using docker.

What am I doing wrong in order to get analytics up and running?

dsealwayson-sql
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez edited

It looks like you're mixing package installations with tarball installations.

DSE package

If you've installed DSE as a package on Debian systems with:

$ sudo apt-get install dse-full

then DSE will be run as a Linux service. If so, you need to configure the DSE service to run in Analytics mode by modifying /etc/default/dse and set:

SPARK_ENABLED=1

To start DSE, run:

$ sudo service dse start

DSE tarball

If you've installed DSE using the binary tarball, you start DSE in Analytics mode with the `-k` flag. For example, if you've unpacked the tarball to /home/ryan/dse-6.8.0:

$ cd /home/ryan/dse-6.8.0
 $ bin/dse cassandra -k

You can't mix the commands between package vs tarball installations. Cheers!

4 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thank you this is clarifying. I am mostly trying to figure out the Debian service, but might need to fall back on using the tarball if I can't.

I did follow those instructions for the service, but still having difficulty. What's the difference between `/etc/init.d/dse` and `/etc/default/dse`? How are the two related? This link mentions both, but I'm having a hard understanding how they relate. It seems strange that both are configuration files for the Debian service, and have overlapping settings (for example the SPARK_ENABLED=1 variable), unless I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

DSE isn't open-source so I can't share the source code with you.

As long as you only modify /etc/default/dse and start DSE as a service, you'll be able to start it properly. If you're still having issues, feel free to upload the system.log to Gist then post the link here and I'd be happy to have a look. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·

Just to clarify:

Does this mean that I shouldn't use `dse cassandra` when using the Debian service, I should only use `sudo service dse start`?

0 Likes 0 ·

That's correct, yes. The instructions for configuring/starting DSE as a service vs tarball installations are 2 different procedures. You can't mix them. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·