PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

ted.petersson_164115 avatar image
ted.petersson_164115 asked ·

Is it possible to provide a custom sidecar when deploying Cassandra with the cass-operator on Kubernetes?

When running Cassandra on Kubernetes today I use a StatefulSet, where I can configure multiple containers. That way I can run both the Cassandra image and a custom image (as a sidecar) in the same Pod.

Is it possible to do the same/similar thing when using the Kubernetes Operator for Cassandra (cass-operator)?

kubernetescass-operatoroperatorsidecar
1 comment
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

The team responsible for releasing the Cassandra operator also released a management API sidecar for Cassandra which you might be interested in.

I'm going to reach out internally to the team and get them to respond directly to your question. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·
bradfordcp avatar image
bradfordcp answered ·

With version 1.2.0 of cass-operator there is now a PodTemplateSpec parameter in the CRD which allows for specifying additional side car processes per pod.

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Cedrick Lunven avatar image
Cedrick Lunven answered ·

Hi @ted.petersson_164115 this is exactly how things work.

• a CRD per DC
  • a StatefulSet per RACK
  • a pod per Cassandra node containing sidecar + c*

More information here from slides 43 to 47

https://github.com/DataStax-Academy/kubernetes-workshop-online/blob/master/4-materials/Cassandra-Developer-Workshop-Kubernetes.pdf

Next livestream for this workshop will be june 11th you should come and try with us, it is totally free, simply a live on youtube. All exercises and yaml in the sane github repo i showed you.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/workshop-build-a-devops-pipeline-with-kubernetes-and-apache-cassandratm-tickets-106944768682?aff=erelexpmlt

3 comments Share

Ok, A can see the Management API SideCar. But my question was really if I could (via CRD-CassandraDataCenter config) could provide my own custom sidecar?
Since I already have one today for handling backup/restore... I was wondering if I could reuse that image/logic when using cass-operator?

0 Likes 0 · ·
Cedrick Lunven avatar image Cedrick Lunven ♦ ted.petersson_164115 ·

Operator is looking over PODS for `readyness` and `liveness` on dedicated port/path. As long as you have the same specifications you could be ok.

• The sidecar is opensource and you can also fork and specialized it.
  • You can also have 2 side-cars in the pod to expose your own custom logic.
0 Likes 0 · ·

Nice. Is it possible to have a custom sidecar image without forking the project?

I see that the Cassandra serverImage can be configured like this:
https://github.com/datastax/cass-operator/tree/master/docs/user#using-a-specific-image

Is it possible to configure a custom sidecar image in a similar way? I.e. adding an "extra" custom sidecar.
Or "overriding" the Management API SideCar to run your own image?

0 Likes 0 · ·