Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

kadnan_172698 avatar image
kadnan_172698 asked ·

VM image of Academy course DS201 shows blank screen

I am using VirtualBox 6.x, I loaded up OVA file but it keeps showing a blank screen. What should I do?

academyds201
2 comments
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

I have exactly the same problem. No idea how to fix it!

0 Likes 0 · ·
kadnan_172698 avatar image kadnan_172698 rafal.sroka.it_190557 ·

I reinstalled the image file and then did not resize the main window. Or you can resize it to Scale as given in menu. It works then.

0 Likes 0 · ·

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

It sounds like your download is somehow corrupted. I've just downloaded it myself and it loads up in VirtualBox just fine.

Please download it and try again. Cheers!

UPDATE - I managed to track it down. This isn't an issue with the VM itself but the laptop or desktop where you're running VirtualBox, particularly on machines where it doesn't have a lot of CPU-processing power.

When you import the VM image, 3D acceleration is enabled by default:

Machines sometimes can't handle this correctly and end up displaying a blank screen. The workaround is to disable 3D acceleration in the settings (uncheck it in the "Display" tab):

This should stop VirtualBox from loading a black screen when you start the VM. Cheers!

c4732-manager.png (335.2 KiB)
c4732-settings.png (262.9 KiB)
2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

The image is fine, I re-installed the image and it does show the screen but when I close and restart VM it again shows blank screen. It shows desktop of Ubuntu for the very first time

0 Likes 0 · ·

@kadnan_172698 @rafal.sroka.it_190557, I figured out the problem with VirtualBox. I've updated my answer with a workaround. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·