Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

kadnan_172698 avatar image
kadnan_172698 asked ·

Is it necessary to use VM for studying Certification?

Is there an alternative to running Cassandra for studying certification? I am not able to run the VM version. So I was wondering why do I need the VM while I could install it on Docker or on my machine? Can anyone guide me?

certification
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

If you're studying the courses on Academy, you need to use the VM in order to do the exercises.

If you're not doing the exercises, you can run your own cluster whichever way you choose. The simplest way is to download the tarball and unpack it on any Linux-based machine. Cheers!

5 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for being so kind. I am using MacOS. Does the VM version has a cluster already established in it? If I want to replicate the scenario on my machine, where do I check the details?

0 Likes 0 · ·

@kadnan_172698, every course will have its assets and details about the same on the course page itself. For example, refer to this course details here. You might want to download the VM and go through key configuration files such as, but not limited to, cassandra.yaml, dse.yaml, cassandra-env.sh, cassandra-rackdc.properties, etc., to replicate it on your own macOS machine.

0 Likes 0 · ·

It sounds like you have not done the courses so I recommend that you do them and complete the exercises. The exercises in each course require you to reconfigure the clusters included in the VM so you learn how to configure clusters on your own. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·
kadnan_172698 avatar image kadnan_172698 Erick Ramirez ♦♦ ·

By exercise you mean the KillerView related videos?

0 Likes 0 · ·
Show more comments