DataStax Academy FAQ

DataStax Academy migrated to a new learning management system (LMS) in July 2020. We are also moving to a new Cassandra Certification process so there are changes to exam bookings, voucher system and issuing of certificates.

Check out the Academy FAQ pages for answers to your questions:

question

kumar.vangala_189934 avatar image
kumar.vangala_189934 asked ·

Are there tools available to generate the data model of an existing Cassandra database?

I would like to generate a Physical data model of tables and relationships using a tool that could reverse engineer a Cassandra database. Please advise.

data modeling
3 comments
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

@kumar.vangala_189934, could you update your post with what version of Cassandra you are using plus additional details around what you're attempting to reverse engineer or the end goal you want to achieve? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 · ·

version of Cassandra 3.11.3.5117. The existing databases have kespaces, tables etc and we would like to reverse engineer the database so we can see a physical data model, with tables and relationships.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Here us the version of Cassandra 3.11.3.5117. The existing databases have kespaces, tables etc and we would like to reverse engineer the database so we can see a physical data model, with tables and relationships.

0 Likes 0 · ·
Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Kashliev Data Modeler (KDM) is an automated data modeling tool for Apache Cassandra which allows you to easily browse a cluster's schema.

Hackolade is a data modeling software for JSON, NoSQL and several multi-model databases. It comes with an out-of-the-box plugin that allows you to connect to Apache Cassandra and DSE clusters.

These tools allow users to generate Chebotko diagrams -- graphical representations of Cassandra schema which show the logical and physical data model using Chebotko notation.

I haven't used them myself but both software have been around for a number of years. You have to pay to use them but they come with a free trial (see the respective websites). There are other IDEs for connecting to Cassandra but these are the two I'm aware of that can generate the diagrams.

For more info on Chebotko notation, see this tutorial at DataStax Academy. Cheers!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

smadhavan avatar image
smadhavan answered ·

There are other tools that help with Cassandra data modeling as mentioned in this documentation.

Also, see the answer that was posted in this thread on reverse engineering Cassandra database.