Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

kelly.summerlin_151704 avatar image
kelly.summerlin_151704 asked ·

Upgrade from v5.1.7 to v5.1.16 - Service fails to start now

Trying to test an upgrade from v5.1.7 to v5.1.16. The original install was using the DSE installer, so I tried to install with the 5.1.16 installer to match. Now that the new install is completed, the DSE service fails to start. The error message is:

Found multiple DSE core jar files in /usr/share/dse /usr/share/dse/common . Please make sure there is only one.

That sounds like there are two versions installed now. If I look in those two folders I do see files named *-5.1.7 and *-5.1.16 there. The upgrade notes didn't say anything about uninstalling first so I didn't bother. Before I go trying to manually remove files from the folders, is there an easier way to fix this problem?

upgrade
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@kelly.summerlin_151704 you need to uninstall the previous version using the DataStax Installer before you can install a newer version. WARNING: Make sure you keep the existing data and configuration files when you get prompted by the installer.

As a side note, the DataStax Installer has been deprecated and will no longer be available from DSE 6.0 or newer. For more information, see Upgrading from DataStax Installer. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.