PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

kelly.summerlin_151704 avatar image
kelly.summerlin_151704 asked ·

Upgrade from v5.1.7 to v5.1.16 - Service fails to start now

Trying to test an upgrade from v5.1.7 to v5.1.16. The original install was using the DSE installer, so I tried to install with the 5.1.16 installer to match. Now that the new install is completed, the DSE service fails to start. The error message is:

Found multiple DSE core jar files in /usr/share/dse /usr/share/dse/common . Please make sure there is only one.

That sounds like there are two versions installed now. If I look in those two folders I do see files named *-5.1.7 and *-5.1.16 there. The upgrade notes didn't say anything about uninstalling first so I didn't bother. Before I go trying to manually remove files from the folders, is there an easier way to fix this problem?

upgrade
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@kelly.summerlin_151704 you need to uninstall the previous version using the DataStax Installer before you can install a newer version. WARNING: Make sure you keep the existing data and configuration files when you get prompted by the installer.

As a side note, the DataStax Installer has been deprecated and will no longer be available from DSE 6.0 or newer. For more information, see Upgrading from DataStax Installer. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.