Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

dmngaya avatar image
dmngaya asked ·

Why does the pod not recover when Docker is rebooted on my Mac?

I have successfully installed apache cassandra in my kubernetes environment on Mac Os using the Kubernetes Operator instructions from datastax enterprise.

The problem is that when I reboot my docker desktop the cassandra pod that was running on that node never recover:

Dieudonnes-MBP:~ dmngaya$ kubectl -n cass-operator get pod -o wide
NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE IP NODE NOMINATED NODE READINESS GATES
cass-operator-f68f44f8f-hqzp6 1/1 Running 17 26h 10.244.3.2 kind-cassandra-worker <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-0 1/2 Running 2 14h 10.244.5.2 kind-cassandra-worker2 <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-1 1/2 Running 2 14h 10.244.4.2 kind-cassandra-worker3 <none> <none>
cluster1-dc1-default-sts-2 1/2 Terminating 0 15h 10.244.5.2 kind-cassandra-worker4 <none> <none>

What can i do to resolve this issue ?

Best regards.

kubernetes
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@dmngaya Our engineers advise that Kind clusters are not resilient enough to handle Docker outages or interruptions, including reboots. It isn't an issue with the Cassandra operator -- it is just a victim of the underlying problem with Kind.

As a workaround, cleanly shutdown the pods and recover them one by one. Cheers!

1 comment Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks for your response.

How can i do to cleanly shutdown the pods and recover them ?

Best regards

0 Likes 0 · ·