Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

satvantsingh_190085 avatar image
satvantsingh_190085 asked ·

Which network properties should I configure in cassandra.yaml, private vs public IP?

Hi,

Need help to understand network parameter and its IP's settings - Which parameter is require for application to connect, Which is for internal node communications - Read documentation but not clear to me. Also when we need to set broadcast_addresses.

Currently I am using Datatax 6.8 and I have configured a Cassandra test cluster on Azure VM's.

listen_address : Public Ip or Private Ip
rpc_address : Public Ip or Private Ip
listen_broadcast_address : Public Ip or Private Ip
rpc_broadcast_address : Public Ip or Private Ip
native_transport_address : Public Ip or Private Ip

Regards

Satvant Singh

cassandraconfiguration
2 comments
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

@satvantsingh_190085, can you also post what version of Cassandra (C*) are you using? Also, mention if you're running it on cloud or on-premise. Feel free to edit your original question itself with that details.

0 Likes 0 · ·

It is in Azure cloud .

0 Likes 0 · ·

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@satvantsingh_190085 The idea is a lot simpler than that.

The listen_address is used for internode communication so this is always set to the private IP of the server. If a server is not accessible from clients/apps/drivers on the node's local network, native_transport_address needs to be set to the public IP address of the server.

listen_address: private_ip
native_transport_address: public_ip

If you have a multi-region cloud setup where nodes cannot communicate on their private IP across regions, set the broadcast_address to the public IP so intra-region communications go out on the WAN.

# only required for multi-region cloud environments
broadcast_address: public_ip

Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.