DataStax Academy FAQ

DataStax Academy migrated to a new learning management system (LMS) in July 2020. We are also moving to a new Cassandra Certification process so there are changes to exam bookings, voucher system and issuing of certificates.

Check out the Academy FAQ pages for answers to your questions:

question

msnaidu avatar image
msnaidu asked ·

Clustering key columns must exactly match columns in CLUSTERING ORDER BY directive

I am trying to create cluster column using the create query

CREATE TABLE videos_by_tag (
       tag text,
       video_id uuid,
       added_date timestamp,
       title text,
       PRIMARY KEY ((tag), added_date, video_id)
) WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY(added_date DESC);

It's showing the following error. Am i missing something in the create table ?

InvalidRequest: Error from server: code=2200 [Invalid query] message="Clustering key columns must exactly match columns in CLUSTERING ORDER BY directive"

I am using the following version of cassandra on mac os

[cqlsh 5.0.1 | Cassandra 4.0.0.680 | CQL spec 3.4.5

cassandra
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@sanyasinaidu.malla_37931 The issue is that you need to specify all the clustering columns in the CLUSTERING ORDER BY directive. In your case, you only specified the added_date column:

WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY(added_date DESC);

Given that you have 2 clustering columns in your table:

PRIMARY KEY ((tag), added_date, video_id)

you need to explicitly include those 2 clustering columns in the directive like this:

WITH CLUSTERING ORDER BY(added_date DESC, video_id ASC);

even though it is already implied that video_id will be in ascending order.

This was introduced in C* 4.0-alpha1 (CASSANDRA-13426) but has been reverted back in C* 4.0-alpha4 (CASSANDRA-15271) which will be included in a future release of DSE 6.8. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.