PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

cache_drive avatar image
cache_drive asked ·

What are the steps for bringing a node back into service after it's been powered down for 2 days?

I have a x8 node production SMS cluster running a pretty old version of Cassandra. One of the nodes was powered down for the weekend. This single node was unable to communicate with the entire ring so my question is now that I've got the VM back up, what do we need to do?
Should I perform a cleanup in a specific order on the ring and once that is done, go back around the ring and do a repair -pr? Appreciate any advice on how to proceed here.

cassandra
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@cache_drive If the node has been down for less than the smallest gc_grace_seconds, it should be as simple as starting Cassandra on the node then running a repair on it.

If the node has been down longer than the smallest GC grace, you will need to wipe the node clean including deleting all the contents of data/, commitlog/ and saved_caches/. Then replace the node "with itself" by adding the replace_address flag and specifying its own IP. For details, see Replacing a dead node. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thank you! So would I ONLY perform a repair -pr on the node that was down or do it on all ring members in nodetool status?

0 Likes 0 · ·

@cache_drive Just a regular repair (without any flags) on the problem node should suffice and it will repair all the token ranges it owns plus the replica ranges. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·