Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

gmldba_107428 avatar image
gmldba_107428 asked ·

How can I troubleshoot a stuck bootstrap

I am joining a node to a 1.2 cluster. But it get stuck applying an Index. What can I troubleshoot this?
AbstractSimplePerColumnSecondaryIndex.java
Also is stuck building indexes, no errors.

bootstrapping
5 comments
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Hi @gmldba_107428 1.2 is a really old version (2013) of Cassandra and is no longer supported. What are the reasons you have not upgraded to a more modern version? There have been many many many improvements since. What errors are you seeing in the logs?

1 Like 1 · ·
gmldba_107428 avatar image gmldba_107428 @brasco --Donnie Roberson-- ·

We can't upgrade because this is a legacy software with old drivers. The box finished creating indexes but won't join. The logs are in DEBUG MODE and there are no errors. I can even see compactions taking place.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Has streaming all of the data completed?

1 Like 1 · ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

gmldba_107428 avatar image
gmldba_107428 answered ·

It wasn't done streaming. I solved it by setting auto_bootstrap to false, doing a nodetool rebuild and nodetool repair. This is a weird case as I recently found out that it uses a customized replication strategy. Its ugly. I just joined the two nodes and hopefully we will migrate customers from this ugly cluster to the new one.

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.