Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

danielleplex_185261 avatar image
danielleplex_185261 asked ·

Is it possible to secure DS Studio?

Is there any built in solution to secure DSE studio?

At the moment it does not ask for any type of authentication so if I run it on a server it is accessible for everyone, and I was wondering if I can deploy it and add at least basic level authentication or if I need run it behind a proxy to authenticate it.

Thanks!

studio
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@danielleplex_185261 That's a great question. We recommend:

• you restrict user access to the server where Studio is installed only to users who have rights to the DBs;
  • deploy Studio behind a VPN accessible only via a jump host;
  • use an authentication proxy access to the web UI;
  • secure connections to the DSE clusters.

For more information, see the DataStax Studio security best practices. Cheers!

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Cedrick Lunven avatar image
Cedrick Lunven answered ·

Great answer by Eric.

Studio is really design to run locally on developer desktops and not as a shared asset (what would happen if multiple user open the same notebook). This is the reason why by default only localhost bound.

Because DataStax Studio is designed to be a local desktop application, a warning in configuration.yaml describes the risks of changing the bind address configuration from localhost.

In my team I work with and instance locally using docker and share the notebooks throught git.

https://hub.docker.com/r/datastax/dse-studio

My2c