PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

Beck avatar image
Beck asked ·

Gossip stage has pending tasks.How to refresh the Gossip?

Hi all,

(DSE version: 6.7.3)

Sometimes I got the message in the "debug.log" when I start a node:

WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:31,276  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 633 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)
WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:32,377  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 635 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)
WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:33,477  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 636 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)
WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:34,578  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 639 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)
WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:35,678  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 641 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)
WARN  [GossipTasks:1] 2019-07-02 09:10:36,778  Gossiper.java:1007 - Gossip stage has 644 pending tasks; skipping status check (no nodes will be marked down)

I found this article, and I checked the permission of my commit logs.

What can I debug this issue?

How to refresh the Gossip?

Thanks!

---

update:

I seen the DataStax Enterprise 6.7 release notes:

1. Fixed an issue by incrementing pending echos when sending gossip echo requests. (DB-3187)

Is that probably about this issue?

cassandradse 6.7.3pending task
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@Beck the symptoms you described here and here point to the nodes being overloaded so you'll run into lots of issues. Specifically for gossip, it's also possible that the commitlog directory has not run out of disk space. Cheers!

14 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Hi @Erick Ramirez ,

That issue has sometimes happened when a node starts.

Maybe It's not the same as this.

I also checked disk usage, everything was fine.

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like 1 · ·

I just wanted to confirm that it's not because the node is overloaded. How much CPUs/RAM does the server have and how much memory is allocated to the heap? Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·
Beck avatar image Beck Erick Ramirez ♦♦ ·

> How much CPUs/RAM does the server have and how much memory is allocated to the heap?

It's CPU: 24 core RAM: 128 GB per node and my cluster use "default setting".

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 · ·

But how much memory is allocated to the heap?

0 Likes 0 · ·

Sorry for I am late.

That is my cluster info:

-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=48289M -Xms32193M -Xmx32193M
1 Like 1 · ·
Show more comments

Can you also confirm if you're seeing dropped mutations on the node? If the commitlog disk cannot keep up with the writes, that is another symptom of an overloaded node. In particular if it has issues flushing memtables then that would also cause gossip tasks to queue for the same reason that I explained in the KB article you referenced. Cheers!

1 Like 1 · ·

> Can you also confirm if you're seeing dropped mutations on the node? If the commitlog disk cannot keep up with the writes

Ok,but I already upgrade to DSE 6.7.4.

If It happened again,I'll concern the dropped messages.

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like 1 · ·

@Beck just a friendly note that you posted a "comment" as an "answer". Just letting you know since it can be confusing for others coming across this post in the future. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·

Sorry about that.

I can't push a comment under that answer yesterday.

Nothing have happened when I push it.

1 Like 1 · ·

Cool, cheers! :)

0 Likes 0 · ·

As it states in CASSANDRA-9279, the issue is that the commitlog disk cannot keep up with the writes. When the write requests are queued up, it stops gossip from working. Gossip is just the symptom of the problem -- it's not the cause of the issue.
You'll need to review the disk performance for this timeperiod -- 2019-07-02 09:10:31. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·

I have checked again but it seem normal.

My issue was only happened when I start node.

But most of all metrics explain that the node was overloaded as this question(What could be the cause of stuck with "Remote TPC backpressure" increasing?).

I will keep concern it if this issue happened.

Thanks for your reply again!

1 Like 1 · ·

Awesome, cheers!

0 Likes 0 · ·