PLANNED MAINTENANCE

Hello, DataStax Community!

We want to make you aware of a few operational updates which will be carried out on the site. We are working hard to streamline the login process to integrate with other DataStax resources. As such, you will soon be prompted to update your password. Please note that your username will remain the same.

As we work to improve your user experience, please be aware that login to the DataStax Community will be unavailable for a few hours on:

• Wednesday, July 15 16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 20:00 BRT
  • Thursday, July 16 00:00 BST | 01:00 CEST | 04:30 IST | 07:00 CST | 09:00 AEST

For more info, check out the FAQ page. Thank you for being a valued member of our community.

question

mukesh.modi.india_53022 avatar image
mukesh.modi.india_53022 asked ·

how write in cassandra works in terms of commitlog_segment_size_in_mb

Hi Team,

We caught the error "Mutation of 17156436 bytes is too large for the maximum size of 16777216" in Cassandra.

I understand, we should increase the commitlog_segment_size_in_mb to 64 mb as mutation usually use 1/2 of commilog_segment_size and we were using 32 mb.

Now, I understand, how commitlog_segment_size_in_mb works.

Is it because the size of writes has increased, or is it because commitlog has increased because the size of writes went high? I mean multiple writes in commitlog or one write request which has more than 16mb of size.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mukesh kumar

commitlogscommitlog_segment_size
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

@mukesh.modi.india_53022 you are getting that error because the application is sending a really large write. We do not recommend increasing the commitlog segment size unless you fully understand the implications. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.