question

rajib76 avatar image
rajib76 asked Erick Ramirez commented

Which Azure Storage is used in DataStax Astra DB?

There is little documentation on how ASTRA DB stores data. So, i could not do much research on this. I wanted to know which of the storage options do ASTRA DB use to store data in azure blob. The storage options are

1. LRS(Locally Redundant Storage) - copies data synchronously three times within a single physical location in the primary region

2. ZRS(Zone-redundancy storage) - Copies data synchronously across three Azure availability zones in the primary region

3. GRS(Geo-redundant storage) - Intermediate option with failover capabilities in a secondary region

4. GZRS(Geo-zone-redundant storage) - Optimal data protection that includes both GRS and ZRS.

astra db
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

Astra DB uses locally redundant storage (LRS) in Azure so data is replicated 3 times within the region at the storage layer.

If you're interested in finding out more, there is additional information available in the Astra DB Serverless Whitepaper.

Feel free to let us know if you have any follow up questions and we'd be happy to get you in touch directly with one of our architects. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

rajib76 avatar image rajib76 commented ·
Thanks Erick for the answer. If it uses LRS, how does it handle region redundancy. For example if a region goes down(like what recently happened with AWS), how does ASTRA DB handle such scenarios
0 Likes 0 ·
Erick Ramirez avatar image Erick Ramirez ♦♦ rajib76 commented ·

The setup of the storage layer is completely unrelated to cross-DC failover. I've explained it in your other question (#13156). Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·
Patcho2005 avatar image
Patcho2005 answered

Currently it's LRS but we are moving to ZRS for greater availability.

Hope this helps.

10 |1000