Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

DhavalBhatt avatar image
DhavalBhatt asked Erick Ramirez commented

Slow Spark job execution impacting overall experience

we have a 9 node spark cluster that is performing a background job with the help of Spark Job Server UI and Jenkins.

since last couple of days, I am observing significant time to complete the Spark job. However, I am sure we are not observing in new data load to the system. or not made any changes in job or anything.

One thing I would like to mention and for that I need help. most of the job which are taking longer time to complete is depend on table that has higher amount of tombstone.

• Average live cells per slice (last five minutes): 9.260071466283065
  • Maximum live cells per slice (last five minutes): 5001.0
  • Average tombstones per slice (last five minutes): 1.3884200136199125
  • Maximum tombstones per slice (last five minutes): 9795.0

I know that having higher amount of tombstone may cause read issue while perroming background operation. version of DSE is quite old 4.8.* and the table contains DateTier Compation so I am not sure how can I bring down this tombstone as mannual compation or read reapir is not good with datetier (Correct me If I am wrong here)

dsespark-cassandra-connectorspark
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

You have a complex problem and I'll need a lot more diagnostic information to be able to help you.

I'm limited in the assistance I can give in a Q&A forum and you are best served logging a ticket with DataStax Support so one of our engineers can assist you directly. Cheers!

2 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Thanks, I have access to that portal however need to discuss this with my team also have a minor update regarding tombstone information. I copied it from one node only but I execute the same query on more nodes and found that

Max tombstone range is: 22000 to 39500

The average tombstone range is : 4.## to 12.##

0 Likes 0 ·

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to comment without diagnostic data. Cheers!

0 Likes 0 ·