Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

Shannu avatar image
Shannu asked Erick Ramirez edited

Is a rolling restart and repair enough for migrating to NetworkTopologyStrategy?

I am migrating a cluster from simplestrategy to networktopology.

Apart from altering the user keyspaces, I need to change the nodes rack information as well.

Does a rolling restart after editing the cassandra-rackdc.properties file and full repair good enough to do the job or Do I need to decommision them and place it as new?

topology
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez edited

It really depends on whether the cluster's topology will change. For example, if you have a single DC using SimpleStrategy then switching to 2 DCs with NetworkTopologyStrategy isn't possible. You also cannot change the rack configuration of the nodes because it will cause a topology change which isn't possible to do in-place.

In cases where the topology will change and nodes already have data, you need to:

Otherwise, the steps for switching to NetworkTopologyStrategy is documented here. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.