DataStax Academy FAQ

DataStax Academy migrated to a new learning management system (LMS) in July 2020. We are also moving to a new Cassandra Certification process so there are changes to exam bookings, voucher system and issuing of certificates.

Check out the Academy FAQ pages for answers to your questions:

question

sunil281984 avatar image
sunil281984 asked Erick Ramirez commented

In setting up the lab environment for exercise 01.01 for DS210, hostname is the same as node1

we need to connect to node1 through a new terminal and what should be the arguments for the command ssh -i ubuntu@<node1_ip>. If connect through the ssh shortcut on the desktop for node1. and perform every modifications in cassandra.yaml file . but still the hostname or ip remains same as node1 . when I check the nodetool status or hostname comand as said in the document

ds210
1 comment
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

DS210: Operations for Apache Cassandra™ and DataStax Enterprise

In the above data admin course. In the exercise setting up the lab environment, asked to connect to node using ssh using below command: ssh ubuntu@-i . I have connected to node1 i.e. ssh ubuntu@172.18.0.2.. is am connecting to right node or needs to correct myself in the command line.

One more thing is in the exercise document once you install DSE . when you fire below command

hostname -i NOTE This IP address may be different from the IP address you used to SSH to the node. Use the output of the command hostname -i as the IP address when editing the cassandra.yaml file in the following steps.

But My output of host ip is same as before when connected to the node.

when I check the nodetool status command output : I have same ip 172.18.0.2

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered Erick Ramirez commented

[UPDATED] As the instructions state:

This IP address may be different from the IP address you used to SSH...

I'm not sure why you're expecting it to be different unless your node has a dual-NIC setup.

An example where you'd have 2 different IP addresses for the same node is if you had EC2 instances which have both public and private IP addresses. The public IP address is typically used to connect to servers over the internet. In contrast, the private IP address is only accessible to other machines within the same subnet.

In your case, I suspect you're doing the exercise using the VirtualBox image supplied with the course so the nodes would only have a single IP address. Cheers!

3 comments Share
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

DS210: Operations for Apache Cassandra™ and DataStax Enterprise

In the above data admin course. In the exercise setting up the lab environment, asked to connect to node using ssh using below command: ssh ubuntu@-i . I have connected to node1 i.e. ssh ubuntu@172.18.0.2.. is am connecting to right node or needs to correct myself in the command line.

One more thing is in the exercise document once you install DSE . when you fire below command

hostname -i NOTE This IP address may be different from the IP address you used to SSH to the node. Use the output of the command hostname -i as the IP address when editing the cassandra.yaml file in the following steps.

But My output of host ip is same as before when connected to the node.

when I check the nodetool status command output : I have same ip 172.18.0.2

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks For the response. Yes am using the Virtual box image . But in the exercise we can see the blow line in the pdf i have attached that you will be seeing different IP with hostname -i than you connected to the node in the start: Please as below in the pdf and one more thing if you see the output status of nodetool status in the pdf the ip is different from the node 1 ip. so let me know is am correct or something I have missed or went wrong from my end:

1628612012631.png

1628612050404.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1628612012631.png (68.8 KiB)
1628612050404.png (88.4 KiB)
That is just an example. Different machines will have different IPs. Cheers!
0 Likes 0 ·