Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

sumant7654 avatar image
sumant7654 asked Erick Ramirez edited

What is the fastest way to update all records of a table ?

Hi I have table called customer. This table having 5 Million (5,000,000) or records. I want to update a particular field of all records.
Please suggest me a fastest way to update.

Thanks!

cassandradsbulk
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered

If I may suggest, speed shouldn't be your goal -- it should be efficiency. Updating all the records in a table requires a full table scan and you could inadvertently bring your cluster down.

There isn't a ready-made solution for doing this. You could export the data out using the DataStax Bulk Loader (DSBulk) tool. Based on the output, create a new CSV file that contains the partition key(s) and the column you want to update. You can then bulk load it into the cluster using DSBulk.

A more efficient way of doing it is with Spark if you already have a Spark cluster. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.