Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

mohit1234 avatar image
mohit1234 asked ·

Hint directory increasing in size continuously

I have dev cluster of 2 node with dse version 6.7.4.

i am facing issue with hint directory size . as size increasing continuously now its around 80 gb and so far increased 10 gb since last 1 hour and i am worried that it will reach to 100 and i wont be able to access server could you please suggest what should be done? generally it should be 4kb i guess. i dont have much idea about this could you please help with workaround so that i can stop this utilisation without any impacting my data.

hinted handoff
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered ·

Hints are stored by coordinator nodes when a replica doesn't acknowledge that writes were successful because the node is down or unresponsive for whatever reason.

In my experience, the most common cause of this situation is when nodes are overloaded and cannot keep up with writes.

You need to either (a) reduce the traffic so the nodes don't get overloaded, or (b) increase the capacity of your cluster by adding more nodes.

If you have any follow up questions, please log a ticket with DataStax Support so one of our engineers can assist you directly. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.