Bringing together the Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax.

Want to learn? Have a question? Want to share your expertise? You are in the right place!

Not sure where to begin? Getting Started

question

rohitasave avatar image
rohitasave asked Erick Ramirez answered

Is it mandatory to run a repair post-Cassandra upgrade?

Hello, I have a running Apache Cassandra 3.11.6 cluster of 7 nodes.

I had upgraded to 3.11.6 version from 2.1.9 version. After upgrading I ran `nodetool upgradesstables` on all nodes at once. And see that it got completed and data present in data directory has been converted to 3.11.6 format.

Now I am not sure whether I should run `nodetool repair -pr <keyspace>` on all the nodes, starting with rest of the nodes and coming to seed node at the end. Could anyone please guide me the best practices?

repair
10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Erick Ramirez avatar image
Erick Ramirez answered

No, running a repair isn't required as a result of upgrading a cluster. Just make sure you run repairs regularly (at least once a week) as part of your normal maintenance tasks.

However, we recommend that you run a repair on all nodes before upgrading nodes to make sure data is consistent. Cheers!

10 |1000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.